If you’re looking to replace your windows, you may be wondering whether fitting them yourself is a viable option. What are the pros and cons of DIY replacement window installation? And what’s the best solution for you?
Can I replace my windows myself?
It is possible to fit replacement windows yourself if you have the right tools and have done thorough research on how to do the job properly.
How much cheaper is it to fit replacement windows myself?
The DIY route means save on the cost of labour. The difference in cost will be substantial (it could be as much as 50%). However, if anything goes wrong, you‘ll have no protection and will need to pay a professional to help. This could turn out to be much more costly in the long run.
There are pros and cons to both options: fitting your replacement windows yourself and hiring an expert to do the job. Read on to learn more about some important aspects to consider before making your decision.
Advantages of DIY Window Installation
- Saving money – Fitting your replacement windows yourself will inevitably reduce the cost of the project, assuming everything goes to plan. You’ll be able to purchase the full-frame replacement windows at retail value.
- Your decision on style – Of course, you still get to select the window(s) of your choice, if you hire a professional fitter, but they may sway your decision or make unwanted suggestions. The DIY approach provides you with complete autonomy.
- You learn a new skill – If there’s a chance that you might be fitting replacement windows again in the future, it may be valuable to acquire the skills (and the tools) needed. Your research and efforts spent on this project can be seen as a form of training.
Disadvantages of DIY Window Installation
- Lack of the right tools – You may think the DIY window fitting option means you only have the cost of the windows themselves. But, if you don’t already have the necessary tools for the job, you’ll need to spend money hiring or purchasing these tools.
- A longer job – When we are inexperienced in a particular task, it inevitably takes us longer to complete. It’s important to consider the money saved by carrying out the installation yourself against your labour time and what that’s worth.
- Risk of a poorer fitting standard – If you have never fitted replacement windows before you risk a sub-standard fitting. Even a capable DIY practitioner may make mistakes as they lack the full understanding or experience of this specialist job.
Is the DIY Window Fitting the Right Route for You?
Whilst cheaper, fitting your own windows is risky. Only those experienced in property DIY, with some level of skill will be able to really do a good job of replacement window installation. You will need to set aside the time to research the techniques, source the materials and tools, then put in the labour yourself – which may take considerably longer than it would take a professional company.
Advantages of Hiring a Professional for Window Installation
- Quality of the work – An expert window fitter will have the skills and experience needed to do a good job, meaning your windows are securely fitted. This will mean your new windows are more energy-efficient and will last longer.
- Guarantee of the work – Hiring a professional to fit your replacement windows is likely to mean you have the peace of mind of a warranty or guarantee that a company offers. You can call the company after the fitting with concerns or queries.
- Less risk of accidental damage – A professional fitter is less likely to damage floors or surfaces in your property than someone with little or no experience. It is also worth remembering that if a professional fitter damages the new units during the fitting, they will replace these at no extra cost.
- A quicker fitting – A hired window fitter will typically be able to fit your replacement window(s) faster than you could yourself. They have the knowledge, skills and tools for the job.
- Bespoke window sizes – If your property doesn’t have standard-sized windows, a professional company will be able to supply you with and fit replacement windows tailored to your property’s requirements.
Disadvantages of Hiring a Professional for Window Installation
- Higher cost – The cost of hiring a professional fitter will be substantially greater than fitting your windows yourself because you will need to cover the labour costs. Check out our online pricing tool for costs, using our installation services.
- The timing of the fitting – If you hire an expert to fit your new windows, you will need to fit into their schedule, around other jobs they currently have. This may mean waiting longer than you would like to.
- Choosing the wrong installation company – If you don’t choose a trustworthy, experienced fitter, with good reviews, you risk your windows being poorly fitted.
Is the Professional Window Installation the Right Route for You?
If you choose a reputable company to fit your replacement windows, you will get the best results; well-fitted windows, installed quickly and efficiently, with minimal disruption. You will have the guarantee that all work is covered under warranty, should you have any problems. The initial outlay may be greater than the DIY route but you won’t need to supply tools or pay for any mistakes or damage.
What’s the Verdict?
The decision of whether to hire professionals to fit your replacement windows or whether to take the DIY route lies entirely with the individual and their personal circumstances.
Fitting your own replacement windows could be a great option if you:
- have the time to embark on this project (the research and the fitting itself)
- have some prior experience with property DIY
- already have some of the tools needed or if you are able to easily and cheaply source them
- want to add this specific skill set to your repertoire
- have a very limited budget
If the above doesn’t sound like you, then hiring a professional replacement window fitter is probably the better option. If you choose a reputable company, you will have your windows fitted well, with minimal disruption and you will be able to have any concerns addressed post-fitting. If you choose the right company, your installation will also come with a warranty.
Need advice on hiring a glazing company?
Simply contact us and a member of the team can go through the process and explain the advantages versus doing it yourself.